I mentioned in my previous blogpost about my curly hair, that I had stopped straightening so as to get my hair healthy. Well, I got bored. You may have even noticed that I have recently posted selfies showcasing my pin-straight locks. Like I said, I got bored. Period. End of story. I needed a change-up and really wanted to see how long my hair was getting! The result:
This week I decided to share with you what products I use to get my hair straight, straight, straight!
1. I always start the process in the shower at night with a good shampoo and condition. Sometimes, I will shampoo twice as I tend to only wash my hair every couple of weeks and I want to ensure I have no product buildup as that will definitely show once I straighten my hair.
2. Once I am out of the shower, I wrap my hair in a towel and let it soak up the moisture for a few minutes.
3. I take my hair out of the towel and will gently comb through my strands. I do not brush my hair when wet as this can cause breakage!
4. I then apply two Living Proof products: Prime Style Extended and Perfect Hair Day 5-in-1 Styling Treatment to my strands to protect my hair from heat styling and prolong my straight strands.
5. I then blow dry my hair (Conair Blow Dryer) and use a round brush to help smooth my strands. I am not as talented as a hairdresser when it comes to roundbrushing (I really wish I was!), but I try to round brush my roots where my hair will kink the most.
6. I usually end the process here and put my hair up in a scrunchie before bed. I find that giving my hair a break helps to set my strands better and also gives my hair a break so I am not doing all of the heat styling at once. Also, my hair tends to get messed up while I sleep so what is the point of straightening it at night if I just have to go over it again in the morning!?
7. In the morning, I begin by separating my hair into 1-2 inch thick layers and will spray Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Perfect Iron Spray on each layer to further protect my strands from heat styling.
8. I then separate strands into 1 inch sections and use the Go Styling Iron by FHI Heat at approximately 385 degrees. This process takes around 30 minutes. I pay extra attention to my baby hairs around my face and the strands at my crown.
9. Once I am finished, I take a mirror to check the back of my hair to ensure I got all of my strands (my biggest pet peeve is to have any kinks whatsoever!)
I then will spray my hair with Living Proof Flex Shaping Spray to set the look! I play with my hair a lot when it’s straight so this hair spray is perfect for me to whip my hair back and forth!
I am normally able to keep my hair straight for a few days before it starts to look like my hair needs a good wash! This is where dry shampoo becomes your best friend! My favourite dry shampoo is Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo.
(I swear this blogpost is not sponsored by Living Proof, I just really like their products!)
Wave After Wave
Sometimes, I will add in waves with the straightener to give me the ‘Hollywood Glam’ look. For example, this picture from my firm’s Holiday Party:
The process above remains the same for this technique, it is just the way I use the straightener that changes. Instead of running over my strands with the straightener pulling it flat and even over my strands, I move the straightener as though I am curling ribbon with scissors.
And there you have it! Let me know if you have any products you swear by for heat styling!
P.S. If you are anything like my sister, you will now have this song in your head. And you’re welcome.